Event details will be posted below as they become available
Webinar: Dealing with Unauthorized Stacking
with Jason Medley, Esq. - Member, Clark Hill PLC
With the proliferation of merchant cash advance companies and other similar financiers, many factors have experienced all too often the surprise junior lien, and maybe even a competing notification of assignment. As if the depletion of cash from your customer’s bank account wasn’t enough, now they are attempting to intercept account debtor payments. While you may never be able to completely prevent this, there are some things you can do, both before and after, that can help mitigate any damage.
- How to help prevent stacking
- How to discover stacking early
- How to respond appropriately to mitigate damage
- What happens when a competing NOA is sent to account debtors?
- What happens when an NOA is sent to you?
- What happens when a Confession of Judgment is filed against your client?
The Venue: Webinar
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019 - 1pm - 2pm PST (Pacific Time Zone)
- Jason Medley represents banks, factoring companies (purchase and sale of accounts receivable) and real estate interests in a variety of transactional matters, from due diligence to contract negotiations, workouts, intercreditor relations and secured party collections. He also represents businesses in corporate governance and general matters, including entity formation, contracts, leasing, mergers and acquisitions.
The fee for this webinar is $50 ($75 for Non-Members)
Register Here >>
Webinar: Factoring Oil & Gas Mineral Projects
with Jared Ullman, Esq. & Michael Ullman, Esq. - Ullman & Ullman, P.A.
This webinar will focus on factoring accounts from factoring clients or providing asset based financing to borrowers who furnish supplies or provide services to oil and gas mineral projects. Topics include identifying the due diligence and operational issues and protections required from dilution for mineral lien Claimants, including a discussion of an actual case study.
The Venue: Webinar
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 1pm - 2pm PST (Pacific Time Zone)
- Jared Ullman, Esq.
Jared has experience in bankruptcy, restructuring and other commercial transactions as well as commercial litigation. Jared also has experience managing securitized institutional loans with value in excess of $50 million. His substantial experience in finance and business law makes him a highly valued member of the Ullman & Ullman team.
- Michael Ullman, Esq.
Mike received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1975 and graduated Nova Law School Magna Cum Laude in 1979. He also served as a member of and published for the Nova Law School Law Review. Mike is a member of the Florida Bar, is admitted to practice in the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, Southern and Middle and Northern Districts of the Federal Courts in Florida and in the Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Federal Courts of Appeals as well as having been given pro hac vice status to serve his clientele throughout the country in numerous other states, including matters involving complex arbitration proceedings. Mike started his law firm, Ullman & Ullman, P.A., in 1980. Ullman & Ullman, P.A. has specialized in all forms of commercial transactions and litigation. Mike currently serves as co-counsel to and has been a frequent lecturer for the International Finance Association for over a decade.
The fee for this webinar is $50 ($75 for Non-Members)
Register Here >>
2020 Presidents & Senior Executives Meeting
Presidents and Senior Executives of factoring organizations have unique needs. One of the best ways to help with your strategic planning is to spend time discussing those issues with other Presidents and Senior Executives in the factoring industry. This meeting is designed to facilitate that discussion.
The second component of our meeting will concentrate on networking. We will begin on Wednesday evening with a Welcome Reception. Breakfast and lunch will be held together to give you a chance to network with the other attendees. Dinner on Thursday evening will also be included.
The Venue: Andaz Costa Rica Resort- Peninsula Papagayo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- Thursday & Friday, January 23 - 24, 2020
Some of the Topics Covered:
- State of the Industry
- How to Generate Business in 2020
- Planning for the Future
- Funding Options
- New Products
- Legal Issues
Additional Topics TBA
- Nick Hart - President, Sallyport Commercial Finance, LLC
Nick moved to California after serving as the Managing Director of Bibby Factors Yorkshire Limited UK from 2002 to 2008. In this role, he led the launch of and established the office in Yorkshire and took over the management for the North East of England (Sunderland). Prior to Bibby, Nick worked for Alex Lawrie Factors (part of Lloyds Bank) where he managed an approximately $65 million portfolio of 1,000 clients and a staff of 45 employees. Before joining Lloyds Bank, Nick spent five years at Deloitte & Touche in Leeds, London, Luxembourg, and Abu Dhabi. Nick received a Bachelors in Science (with Honors) in Business Studies from the Bradford University Business School. He is currently a Board Member of the California Fashion Association and Fundraising Committee Member of City of Hope. Nick is married and has four children. He likes to play and collect guitars. He is an avid motorist and has owned several collectible sports cars and holds a National B race license.
- George Thorson - President & COO, Triumph Business Capital
- George has more than 36 years of experience in commercial finance including factoring, asset based lending, business evaluations, loan work out and field auditing. Prior to joining Triumph Business Capital, George was a principal in Collateral Risk Management, Inc. and Credit Support International. George continues to serve as an industry expert and peer educator for the International Factoring Association and the National Association of Credit Managers. George received a B.S. in Accounting from St. Cloud State University, and is an IFA Certified Account Executive in Factoring (CAEF).
- Michael Ullman, Esq. - Principal, Ullman & Ullman, P.A.
- Mike graduated from Nova Law School Cum Laude in 1979, is a member of the Florida Bar and has been admitted pro hac vice in courts and arbitration proceedings throughout the country. Ullman & Ullman, P.A., formed in 1980, specializes in all forms of commercial transactions, litigation and arbitration. Mike is co-counsel to and has lectured for the IFA for over a decade and has published numerous articles including: Factoring Specialized Industries and Stories From the Trenches.
- Bob Zadek, Esq. - Of Counsel, Buchalter
- Bob is one of the premier attorneys and an expert in the field of factoring. An attorney with the San Francisco office of Buchalter, he handles loan documentation, trade finance and letters of credit, loan workouts and bankruptcy. He is a past Chair of the Commercial Financial Services Committee of the Section on Business Law of the American Bar Association, and was a founder and Chair of its Subcommittee on Loan Documentation.
- Douglas Spencer - President, Spencer Brenneman
- Douglas is President and Chief Brand Strategist at Spencer Brenneman, LLC. He has more than 20 years of branding and marketing experience, working with professionals from around the world in verticals such as financial and professional services, SaaS, healthcare, and media. Before starting Spencer Brenneman, LLC he was Vice President, Global Head of Brand for Thomson Reuters. In that role, he guided the migration of the multiple Thomson and Reuters businesses to form the then-new Thomson Reuters brand. He is also the author of Do They Care? The one question all brands should ask themselves, continually. A book that shows business leaders how they can create meaningful connections with customers, employees, and others. Douglas is a frequent speaker on how strong brands improve business performance through strategic alignment, employee engagement, brand governance, verbal and visual identities, and more.
- Wednesday, January 22nd - Diamanté Eco Park Zip Lining
Tour Description: Diamanté Eco Adventure Park is home to a unique zip line experience. The Superman line, ranked Top 5 in the world, is the longest dual action zip line in Central America. It is over 4,500 feet in the air and is almost one mile long.The course was designed and engineered for fun and safety and includes Superman, Quick Jump and Tarzan Swing. The Animal Sanctuary in the property is the largest wildlife refuge in the area. Guests can interact with animals with up close viewing. The habitats are designed to provide a natural setting for the different species while allowing guests to learn and enjoy a unique, safe experience. You can also enjoy the beach during your visit.
Tour Includes: Round trip transportation by water taxi, tour guides, Adventure Pass (zip line tour with 5 lines, Superman, quick jump and bridge over crocodiles, plus admission to the animal sanctuary), all equipment, welcome drink and cold towels, fresh fruit, bottled water, and buffet lunch.
What to Bring: Comfortable clothing, sandals or shoes that can get wet (for the water taxi), closed-toe shoes for the zip line (sneakers or sport sandals are fine), pants or long shorts, insect repellent, sunscreen, and money (for incidentals). A camera with a strap may be brought at your own risk. Lockers are available at no cost for belongings. You can also bring a bathing suit if you would like to visit the beach.
Cost: $200 per person
Thursday, January 23rd - Spouse Tour - Tio Leo Coffee Tour and Lunch
Tour Description: The coffee tour experience teaches you the history of this golden bean in Costa Rica. In addition to this, the selection technique of the berry is what makes great difference with the final product. You they will be warmly received personally by Tio Leo and also have the opportunity in the vast world of coffee where he will take you through its history and process in our coffee tour. He also includes a lecture about chocolate crops and the way to process it to get really pure taste. The sugar cane is another crop and product Tio Leo mentions on his presentation. There are about eight products that come out of this crop. Ancestors worked the wet mill in order to get the cane juice.
What to Bring: Wear a hat and comfortable clothes and shoes for walking.
Cost: $115 per person
- Group rates at the Andaz start at $389, depending on the view and room size.
- You can make reservations by clicking here.
- Room block expires on December 23, 2019.
The fee for this meeting is $1195 (IFA Members Only). This meeting is limited to two attendees per company. Attendees must have a minimum of five years' experience in Factoring.
The meeting will run from 8am - 4pm on Thursday and 8am - 1pm on Friday, with a reception on Wednesday evening and a group dinner on Thursday Evening. The fee includes tuition, course materials, breakfasts, coffee breaks, luncheons, Welcome Reception and the Thursday evening dinner.
Register Here >>
To register for any of these events,
Register Here >>
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 805-773-0011.
The International Factoring Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
The IFA offers CLE credits for upcoming programs. For approved programs and states, please contact Heather Villa at email@example.com or 805-773-0011 ext 301.
The IFA offers CAEF credits for upcoming programs. For information on approved programs and courses, please contact Terri Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-773-0011 ext 303.
Cancellations received on or before 30 days prior to the training course will be charged a 20% penalty. No refunds will be given after this date. Attendee names can be substituted without a penalty.